Performance Tuning is a significant aspect, in the process to improve the performance of an application or a website.This process involves carrying out performance analysis and optimizationof your business applications.
Since a lot of effort goes into building the required functionality of your web application, therefore we tend to overlook the very important step of performance tuning. This happens as we are usually in the never-ending rush of jumping on to our next project.
However, it is important for one to realize that this process of performance tuning also deserves an equal amount of attention, besides other Web Application Development tasks. For this very purpose, let us share with you certain guidelines that you should always keep in mind while calibrating your application performance.
• Look for that your application conforms to the standard compliances and tools.
• Minimize the use of style sheets, as they require separate downloading, even before the page can display.
• Make use of simple servlets or CGIs. Rather than going for distributed object schemes, one should prefer going for simple servlets, or Web Server’s API.Although, distributedobject schemes intend towards improving the developer’s code-writing productivity. However, they might prove to be unacceptably expensive on the end user’s side.
• Catch upon a free-analysis tool. Find any tool that can tell you about any kind of congestions in the application’s DNS, or whether or not the app is on the server side owing to its connection time or bulky content size. Always go for the improvement of application part that seems to be the slowest.
• Expand the memory. This will surely increase the efficiency of the web server, database, as well as middleware.
• Then, set up an automated graphing in order to monitor the performance of your web app.
• Check for any packet loss and retransmission. Irregular reduction of speed may be due to packets getting lost and corrupted.A cause of this slowness may be due to the passing of the time-period, before the next packet retransmission takes place.
• Pass less number of database queries. Making and using database connections can prove as a hindrance to an application’s performance. Rather, one can cache the contents in a middleware or servlet.
• Go for indexing of your database tables as well. With table indexes, you can directly access the data you require, instead of doing full-table scans on every hit of a URL.
Therefore, the above-mentioned tips will surely help you understand the best practices and tricks involved into the process for scaling and tuning the performance of your application.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.