5 Brilliant Ways How Technology Can Make Us Happier
The very quote which is written below is itself an indication of how humankind has become accustomed to coexisting with technology within one happy space. So much so that humans fear the lack of computers, internet and Smartphone devices in today’s world. Well, it would rather be controversial to ask whether technology has genuinely made us happier or more depressed over the past many years.
“I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.”
Issac Asimov, Writer
But, if we are to look at these stats, the picture will be more evident to us.
- More than 8 billion people use the internet today. This is 40% of the entire world population.
- There are more than 300 million photos uploaded on Facebook, with 800 million likes per day and 175 million love reactions.
- We spend more than 33 million hours playing video games.
- An IBM study reveals that online training results in productivity worth $30.
From online assignment help to online food delivery apps, technology is everywhere. We cannot even imagine waking up without checking the Smartphone lying next to us. Imagine what will happen to the world if the phenomenon called technology gets wiped off. Will you be happy at all?
Ways How Technology Can Make You Happier
Let’s not spark controversies here. Instead, let’s focus on the five incredibly interesting ways one can leverage technology to be happier than yesterday.
Here you go!
Way #1. You can use music apps for a happier lifestyle
As Shakespeare’s says in the Twelfth Night, “If music be the food for love, play on.” This has been so aptly put that it is still relevant in today’s world. We can always find happiness in music. Thanks to technology, it has brought music closer to us. From Spotify to Pandora Radio and Google Play Music; there are several music apps available these days.
You can always sign up with your favourite platform and enjoy live streaming of thousands of rock music, classic pop songs, carols, hymns and more.
Whenever you would feel depressed, or the world appears to be gloomy for you, remember, there are tech-powered music apps that will have your back like a friend does, and help you be happier.
Way #2. You can utilise technology to help others
To be frank, “Happiness” is a dynamic word. It shouldn’t necessarily be confined to one particular meaning. You can always foster the potential of technological advancements to make this world a happier place for others. At times, watching others in a blissful state of mind makes us happier.
Here’s how you can use technology to help others.
- For example, if you find a community of people deprived of the necessities during tough times such as a pandemic, flood or drought, spread your voice to make them heard via the internet.
- You can also put up a status on Facebook or organise relief fund via platforms such as globalgiving.org, Remitly and the likes.
- Lend someone your Wi-Fi password or allow them to use your laptop in case the other person is in dire need of one.
- One can also use technology to voice opinions on others’ behalf to pledge money or support someone’s crowdfunding initiatives via apps like Kickstarter, Patreon, GoFundMe and more.
It is, of course, necessary to choose your tech wisely. Especially when you are dealing with financial help and support, you must be careful about the app you choose. One wrong decision, one wrong choice of app and you may end up losing your hard-earned money.
Way #3. Utilise technology to meditate and embrace happiness
Meditation is a form of exercise that helps us stay positive in life. And positivity brings in happiness. So, why not utilise the application of technology in embracing joy?
- You can use the app Headspace to learn and get introduced to a myriad of guided meditations, sleep sounds and more.
- You can extend your meditation practice further with apps like Calm.
- It allows users to be a part of guided sessions ranging from 3 to 25 minutes.
Way #4. You can enlist happiness with technology
Did you know that technology can make you happier and help you track happiness at the same time? In our daily lives, there are several things and activities that make us happy. However, we might often forget to keep track of those wonderful moments, activities or people who make us happy and enrich our lives. With technological advancements emerging these days, you can keep track of your happy vibes in a fantastic way.
- You can use tools such as Glint, HappyForce and HappyCrsiperIndex to track your happiness quotient and gauge the same for others.
- For example, if you run a company, it will be important for you to track and measure whether your employees are happy working with you. At the end of the day, you will be satisfied if your employees feel happy while at work.
- This is where such technologically advanced tools come into play. You can use them to collect feedback from employees and rate your team members’ happiness on a scale of 1 to 5.
- Apart from these platforms, there are apps such as Gratitude that taps in the activities, things and people who had once enriched your life during a particular time and event.
- This will allow you to recall those moments or activities that made you happy.
- As a result, you can revisit those days or bring back those activities in your life to find happiness in every form.
After all, recalling positive experiences in life is, by far, one of the best practices one can ever embrace for a healthier, happier and mentally relaxing lifestyle.
Way #5. Find happiness in video games
Did you know that the gaming industry generated a whopping revenue of $151.9 billion last year? Now, this is huge. All thanks to the pro gamers who are happily playing around, bonding up with virtual clans and winning prize monies as well!
After a tiresome day at college or office, when you return home and sit on your couch, a high-resolution strategy game, or a family video game with the little ones at home can lift your spirit. Yes, even video games can fetch happiness, only if you know how to play them in moderation.
Here are some recommendations on how video games can be played moderately to usher in happiness.
- Schedule your day beforehand and dedicate an hour to video-gaming activities.
- Train your mind accordingly so that you don’t get addicted to video gaming.
- Remember, video games are solely for recreation unless you are a professional gamer.
- So, take it that way and never mix your work with gaming, as that can hamper your education or professional responsibilities.
- Lastly, never look at gaming as a priority. It is only a gateway to happiness and recreation. Don’t just waste your money on online live gaming events.
Anything that is over the top is a threat to happiness, especially when you are thinking of investing time in video games.
Keep these ideas in mind and explore further on to figure out other possibilities that would allow you to make this planet a happier place with the help of technology. Lest we forget, the use of technology should always be balanced, and executed moderately. Overuse or exploitation of tech gadgets can lead to catastrophes that we certainly don’t want to face.
Here’s to happiness!