How to Perform Windows Live Mail to Outlook Migration?
Windows Live Mail is an email application introduced by Microsoft. On the other hand, Outlook email application also developed by Microsoft. It is a kind of personal information manager which manages all the Outlook data including emails, contacts, calendars in an efficient manner. Outlook is having more advanced features as compared to Windows Live Mail so, most of the users are migrating from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. But now the question arises how to migrate Windows Live Mail data to Outlook with entire data? You will get the answer to this question in the section given below.
In this blog, we are going to explain how a user can export all the data of Windows Live Mail including emails, contacts, calendars to Outlook. A user just has to follow the steps in the correct way.
Steps to Migrate Data from Windows Live Mail (WLM) to Outlook
If a user wants to export data from WLM to Outlook, then he/she has to follow the steps discussed below. The Windows Live Mail to Outlook migration process is divided into three steps that are:
- Convert emails from WLM to Outlook
- Export contacts from WLM to Outlook
- Export calendars from WLM to Outlook
Step 1: Migrate Email from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
- First, you have to open Microsoft Outlook on your local machine
- Then, you have to open Windows Live Mail on the same system. Now, in WLM, click on the File button
- You will be able to see an Export option, select it. Then, select Email Messages
- After that, you have to select the Microsoft Exchange as the format and then click on the Next button
- Now, a message will appear that all the email will be exported to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. After that, click on the OK button
- You have to export all the email folders or you can also select some of the folders according to your requirements that you want to export by choosing Select folder option
- After the selection of the appropriate option, you have to click on the OK button. Wait until the export process is completed
- Now, after the completion of the export process, you will see a dialog box. Click on the Finish button
There are some shortcomings that are associated with this method. The process is so lengthy and time-consuming. A person should have core technical knowledge to perform all the steps in a precise way. Moreover, it is important for a person to move complete emails with attachments. But, a user can face alteration in the attachments. So, it is advised to select a smart and reliable utility that is Windows Live Mail Converter. This software exports Windows Live Mail emails to PST format in bulk. Additionally, with this utility, a user can migrate entire WLM emails files into a single Outlook PST format. It also provides an option to select files and folder according to the requirements of the user. A user can also use split PST files option associated with this tool, to divide large and heavy PST files into multiple parts.
Now, let us move the Step 2 that is transferring all the contacts from Windows Live Mail to Outlook.
Step 2: Export Contacts from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
- First of all, you have to open Windows Live Mail on your system
- Now, click on the Contacts folder and then click on the Export button
- After that, you have to select comma separated values (.CSV)
- You have to click on the Browse button, in the CSV Export window and select the Desktop folder
- Now, you have to add the filename text box and then click on the Save button
- Click on the Next button and select all the fields you want to export
- Finally, click on the Finish button
- Now, wait until the completion of the export process and then exit Windows Live Mail
After the completion of the export process, you will be having a Contact file in CSV file format. Now, to access contacts file you need import this CSV file to Outlook.
Step 3: Migrate Calendar from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
- First, you have to open WLM on your local machine
- Make sure that you are logged in by using your Windows Live ID and then Select the Calendar folder
- To sync the calendar, click on the Send/Receive option
- Now, close Windows Live Mail and go to http://calendar.live.com. Now, log in by using your Windows Live ID
- You have to click on the Share button and then select the calendar that you want to export
- Choose the option Share this calendar
- Now, put check mark Send people a view-only link to your calendar option
- You will be able see to some link using which you can share your calendar. If you are not able to see the link, then click on the Get your calendar links. Then click on the OK button to confirm
- Click ICS: Import into another calendar application which will be present under the category Links that show event details
- Now, you have to select and then copy the URL that is displayed without the webcal://prefix
- After that, open the new window Internet Explorer and then past the URL without the webcal:// prefix in the address bar that you selected in the previous step. Press Enter key
- Save the calendar .ICS file on your Desktop
- For each calendar you want to export repeat the steps 4 to 12
Now, you can import the ICS file into Outlook to view all your calendars in MS Outlook.
With the help of this blog, the user will be able to export Windows Live Mail data to Outlook. In case of bulk email migration, it is recommended to opt for Windows Live Mail Converter. This utility will help you to export Windows Live Mail emails to PST file format without any data loss. For contacts and calendar migration you can follow the step by step method explained in the above section.